Sunday, April 20, 2008

Keffer Oak.jpg


Keffer Oak.jpg, originally uploaded by Hikingfool.

Day 46: April 19th. This is CJ standing next to the Keffer Oak. It is the largest oak tree on the AT in the south. Last measured, the girth was 18 feet, 3 inches. Wow! It is estimated to be 300 years old. Amazing, eh! That was my nature lesson of the day.

Officially I hiked 22.5 miles, but CJ hiked 29.2 miles. More on that later. I stayed at the Pickle Branch shelter, which is 684.3 miles from Springer & 1491.9 from Katahdin. We broke the 1500 mile barrier today!

Well when I got to the shelter I got the 2nd to last space, and it just started raining. CJ comes by a little later (I hike fast with the treat of rain). Well CJ doesnt do full shelters, cause he likes to have room, so he hikes another 6.7 in the rain over Dragon's Tooth and stays at a gas station. He and Heavenbound just slept under the gas station awning for the night. It was sweet though cause he got cheese burgers for dinner & had access to a great breakfast. Too funny.

Shepherd.

0 comments: